You may remember that I was rather excited about a new to me technique to make faux ceramic using polymer clay and liquid translucent polymer clay. The photo above is from the faux ceramic pendant tutorial and is what inspired me. The technique looked reasonably simple and I had the polymer clay, liquid translucent polymer clay and alcohol inks, so off I went.
Hmm, not quite what I wanted, so it was a little disappointing, but I analysed why it had not worked as well as I wanted it to. Here are my conclusions:
- The liquid polymer clay (Sculpey) was too thick to pool properly
- I had applied the coloured translucent clay on all the raised areas of the images, not into the recesses, which is what I should have done (if I had looked at the tutorial more carefully in the first place, I would have realised that!)
- I had applied the liquid clay using my finger so the application was not very precise
- There was a matt finish, rather than a glossy one, although this could have been remedied by applying a glossy glaze