Wednesday 5 September 2012

Polymer clay, here I come... and macramé bracelet progress

 I am so excited as I received my polymer clay starter kit in the post today.  There is a box to keep the clay in, two acrylic sheets for shaping, sandpaper for smoothing, a roller for ... rolling, cutters, a black and a white clay block and a pack of very sharp blades. 
 I also ordered a few extras - more clay in purple and blue, some glaze to protect the work and give it a shiny finish and some rather gorgeous looking foils which are applied to the clay and then burnished, and the heat caused makes the foil stick to the clay.  I also have a 'How to' DVD and have watched a couple of the sections this evening when I got home from work.  I am hoping to have a first attempt at the weekend.
Here are my first two macramé bracelets, the one above using waxed cord and the one below using hemp cord, with a variety of wooden beads. I found the finishing off on the knots quite tricky - I used a bit of PVA glue in the hope that it would secure the ends unobtrusively.
I am unsure whether to include one of these in my blog swap, but am thinking I should make another one for that, just in case my swapper happens to see my blog and this ruins the surprise.  I need to keep going and have a go using gemstones and cord next.  I am really enjoying the challenge of learning new jewellery making skills.  Oh, and the PeaceFelt piece has been prepared, so once it is received (probably in October), I'll post a photo of that too.

8 comments:

  1. Your bracelets are lovely Ellie! What are you making with the clay?
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Victoria
      Thank you so much for your comment. I am going to attempt some pendants with the clay eventually, but to start with, I'll have a go at making some beads. I need to get used to baking the clay so that it doesn't burn or go brittle and I suspect that may take some time with my rather ancient cooker! I'm going to have a bit of a practise this weekend, all being well. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What fun Ellie! I rather like playing around with Fimo - the best results I had was using up all the little leftovers from something H was making and squidging them together and forming beads out of the marbled multicoloured result. And I know exactly what you mean about Klimt - almost pointilliste but bigger fragments of colour. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear E
      Thank you for your comment. I am wishing the week away to get to the weekend and be able to play! I am now thinking that I may also need to add a clay/pasta roller to my equipment in order to get those lovely smooth surfaces and thin coverings...I'll see how I get on.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. THe bracelets are so beautiful, well done. I love the wooden beads you chose. I used to make loads of things with fimo as a child, namely things for my Sindy house like food! I haven't used it in over twenty years, I should give it a go again. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gillian
      Thank you very much for your comment. The wooden beads were a lucky find from a huge stash of beads, broken necklaces and various other bits and bobs that Chris had collected over the years. We knew it would come in handy one day! As there are quite a lot, it means I can have fun making lots of bracelets. A spiral one with the wooden beads would be effective I think. The polymer clay really appeals to me too - plasticine was the closest I got to clay when I was little and it always ended up a most unappealing shade of sludge grey and went hard. Polymer clay will be much easier to work with, I hope.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. The macramé pieces are looking good :D Have fun with the Fimo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annie
      Thank you very much for your comment. I am really enjoying the macramé work and it is fairly quick to do which is helpful. I hope I get on OK with the polymer clay - it is baking it which I am most worried about as until I have worked out the right timings, the results may not be pretty!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete