Sunday 6 April 2014

Sew-along and Spring flower material

I found Lazy Daisy Jones' lovely blog, where, most fortuitously, a sew-along is taking place to make a simple A line skirt.  Now, I have been saying for ages how I would love to be able to make a skirt which fits me (as I don't have much luck in buying clothes that fit me, then I have to alter them and don't necessarily know what I am doing). I even bought some denim as a positive start to making my own skirt and then I stopped.  I haven't attempted making clothes before (well, I did make some simple elasticated waist skirts many years ago). So, it could be said that the sew-along is perfect timing.
 My progress has been somewhat slow so far though.  I have got the denim and also some calico (as I am going to make it in calico first to try to get the hang of darts and zips).  I do need to wash the material, so that's a job for tomorrow.  I have ordered the pattern (McCalls 3341) and it has been dispatched, but sadly has yet to appear (boo!).  I have also looked at the first sew-along tutorial which has been posted.  I hope to have actually received my pattern by next week.
However, when buying zips at our local market stall, I happened to call in at the material stall and fell head over heels for this material! I don't know what it is called, but I do know that it came from Holland.
 Spring, happiness, flowers, colour - how could I not love it? Unfortunately, I could only afford half a metre at the time, but at least I have got it.  I would love to use it for decoration - perhaps a pocket on a skirt?


In the meantime, I decided to use it to add some oomph to my Spring Bunting which I made last year but had not been really happy with some of the fabric choices. Much better now!
This afternoon, I tried to make similar coloured flowers in polymer clay, to make into a necklace.  I was pleased with how they turned out, even though I didn't have cutters exactly the same shape.
Hopefully next week, I'll be able to say that I have cut the pieces of my skirt out and taken a deep breath before starting to construct!

17 comments:

  1. Well done for getting so prepared. I'm also still waiting for the pattern - very frustrating! Love the flowery fabric x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I need to wash the material but then I should be ready - once the pattern puts in an appearance! I would love to have been able to be good at sewing and make a simple top out of the flowery material. I may have to go back to the stall and buy some more, just in case!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I love that flower fabric. Go on give the skirt a go. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I am definitely going to make the skirt in denim and much as I would love to use the flowery fabric, I'm not sure whether it might be too much as a skirt. (I'm of the 'pattern on the top half, plain on the bottom half' type usually). I am thinking that I ought to buy some more of the flowery fabric anyway though, just because I love it!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I love your post!! and thank you for linking up too, I hope your pattern arrives soon.
    I would love a dress in that flowery fabric with pink flip flops on my feet?
    So happy you are joining us! will post the sewing bit on wednesday.
    bestest wishes Daisy J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie, love your flower fabric, hope your pattern arrives soon!!
    I will post the start of the sewing on wednesday, so happy to have you along for the fun!
    bestest Daisy J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for both of your comments, Daisy. I am excited about the sew-along but a bit nervous as well. I would love a dress in the flower fabric too! I definitely need to buy some more of that material even if I don't know what I'll use it for...
      I hope the pattern arrives soon!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. The flowery fabric is stunning! So bright and beautiful, love the bunting you made and your polymer flowers are perfect. Have fun with the sew-a-long.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marianne. I am so pleased to have seen the flowery fabric and am hoping there will still be some left if I go back! Once my pattern arrives, I can make a start with the sew-along - I'm a bit apprehensive due to my limited sewing skills, but am looking forward to getting going.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Well done for joining along, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun making your skirt and become completely addicted! Love, love, love that flowery fabric too, and you've replicated it perfectly in the clay.
    Happy sewing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gilly. I am hoping that the sew-along will indeed be lots of fun although I am feeling a little apprehensive. I went back and bought 2 metres of the flowery fabric - it was nearly all gone - so it is there if I do get to grips with this sewing lark!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. When I saw the sew along I did think of you Elly, that's so funny!
    So nice that you are joining! I am no good at sewing at all, so I'll pass... ;-)
    Have fun, love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. I'm not sure I'm all that good at sewing but I am determined to give this a good try! I need a skirt which actually fits me!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  8. First, thanks for your kind words on Ruperts tail, I'm keeping everything crossed, I really don't fancy the big vets billl that an amuptation would cost.
    As for the A line skirt, I've made many of those in the past and loved the freedom they give while looking good. I've just made a duck tape model of myself so that I can get back to dressmaking and I think I'm going to do a post on it if I can pluck up the courage, its really is horrible, I'm sure I'm not the size and figure it has come out. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Poor old Rupert - hope he improves quickly! I saw your post on the model of yourself. I have had to use the largest size on the pattern as I am going with the hip measurements (that was a bit depressing). I am hoping that the pattern is generous and I'll be able to take it down a size or two...fingers crossed!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  9. love that fabric, and the clay flowers are brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I love the fabric too and have bought more without the faintest idea of what I am going to do with it. Never mind, at least I have got it! The flowers worked out quite well but I need to get them made into some jewellery now!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete