Tuesday 29 April 2014

Tulip-o-rama!

I couldn't resist a round up of some of the tulips which have been brightening up the garden.  They are especially bright, so sunglasses may be in order!  Above is Black Parrot (which was dried and replanted from last year and has done really well), looking amazingly velvety and luscious.
This was a very zingy combination of colours at the front of the house...
 ...which contrasted with the rather refined and elegant pinky-purple of this one (these were a mixture of Triumph and Single Early).
Here's the tub at the front of the house, bringing us a welcome bit of colour as we go in and out.

This fringed tulip appeared in the border and was a surprise.  I remember a pink fringed tulip appearing for a few years when we first moved in, but then it seemed to disappear.  I know I haven't planted any fringed ones, so is this the original one putting in a re-appearance?  If so, it is very welcome!

 
 Here are the new Ballerina, shining out against the brick wall and the foliage.
 Tulip 'Red Shine' really do shine and are beautiful.
 When the sun shines, Ballerina loves it!  There is another tub of Single Late tulips to the left, so there are still a few more tulips to enjoy.
 Red Shine at the front, Ballerina at the back - I love them! (I think this is probably obvious).
The surprise pink fringed tulip looking almost fluorescently fuchsia pink.  I think more tulips will be required next year (if I can manage to squeeze more tubs in!).  I think this may be starting to be an obsession...

4 comments:

  1. Ah your display of tulips is unbelievably beautiful Ellie, I don't thing I've ever seen such a wonderful variety of healthy happy tulips anywhere - magical colours! Enjoy them! Wishing you the very best always, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I am really enjoying the display this year and they do seem to like being in big tubs. I like the mixes because you never know what you'll get, but Ballerina and Red Shine are fabulous!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!!!! Tulips are my favourite, and wow, do you have a stunning range! Thank you so much for sharing these photos, I'm going to make note of some to plant next autumn...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I have gradually bought more and more tulips each year and I don't think I could have a garden without them now. The mixes are great because they are a surprise, but Ballerina, Red Shine and Black Parrot have all been good too. Good luck with your tulips in the autumn - you won't be sorry!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete