Sunday 27 April 2014

Black Sheep: the darker side of felt - exhibition

This morning, Chris and I headed to the National Centre for Craft and Design in Sleaford, to see an exhibition devoted to 3D felt.  (Sleaford is rather an out of the way place for a National centre of anything and I do wonder why it was chosen.  The building itself is rather like Dr Who's Tardis, but in reverse - it looks much bigger on the outside!)
I asked whether I could take photos and was told I could, so, I wonder if you would like to join me at the exhibition?  You would? Excellent!
Before entering the gallery, there was a display of different fibres which can be used in felting from the obvious wool to alpaca and yak and moving on to plant fibres such as bamboo and corn fibre.
There was also a display of equipment needed for wet felting and needle felting too.
Opposite, there was an exhibition of small 3D pieces made by members of the International Feltmakers Association.

So, into the gallery (the title wasn't actually pink; for some reason this is the colour my camera thought it was.  Perhaps it was to do with the lighting?)
The first things we saw were these felted bowls by Gladys Paulus.  The felt was beautifully smooth and thick and it was difficult to believe these weren't ceramic, but were wool.
Two smaller ones made some interesting shadows.
 These pieces must have been inspired by sea creatures and had I read the information about the artist, no doubt I would have discovered more.  They are by Marjolein Dallinga.
 This piece took up the whole wall - hand dyed and hand felted.
 Here's a close up of the biggest sea urchin shape.
More of Marjolein Dallinga's work.
Here's a view of the gallery space.  The animal head pieces are by Barbara Keal and we both thought that they would be amazing theatrical costumes.  A Midsummer Night's Dream, anyone?
 The shadow from this deer head piece fascinated me almost as much as the actual felt.
At first, I was amused by Stephanie Metz's Teddy Bear skulls.  There was another one in the foyer which visitors were allowed to touch and the felt was absolutely solid. Then I though they were slightly macabre, being skulls of teddy bears, which don't actually have skulls. Finally, I thought that the artist must have had to study the anatomy of bears as well as the anatomy of the particular teddies she chose to create; a lot of work had gone into their creation, so I was very impressed.  That was one thing I did think as I walked round - the amount of time and physical effort needed to create these pieces must have been phenomenal (I know how long it takes and how much effort is needed to make a small piece of 2D felt!).
 We loved these costumes by Horst Couture.  Again, they would really lend themselves to theatrical performances. The red one was particularly striking.
There was also a green one which reminded me of seaweed and a yellow one called 'Goldenrod'.  All in all, we thought it was definitely worth seeing the exhibition as the artists showed the infinite versatility and variety of 3D felted pieces. 
I believe the exhibition may be moving to a number of UK venues, so if it is something that interests you, I would recommend a visit. There is a blog here although no other venues are mentioned when I looked today. There is information about all the artists and their work there too.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing Ellie, who would have thought you could do everything like that with felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. That's why exhibitions such as this one are so important - they make the visitor look at the subject with new eyes. I think that when 'felt' is said, it conjures up the image of felt squares, but there is much more to it than that. Another good thing about this exhibition is that there were items which could be touched - felt is so tactile, that is part of its appeal for me.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful exhibition Ellie, and right up your alley too! Those costumes are fantastic aren't they, I really appreciate the work, time and effort that must have gone into all the pieces even though I've never tried my hand at felting - yet! Thank you so much for sharing this with us - the artists are to be highly commended for such work! Have a happy week m'dear, love, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. You're right - it was right up my street! I haven't tried to make any 3D felt pieces yet - the thought of moulding or using resists scares me a little - but I did love the sea-urchin inspired sculptures/bowls/vessels. They could be adapted to make very interesting bags too!
      I don't think I'll be attempting any costumes though...
      Best wishes and a happy week to you too.
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous exhibition! Those bowls are exquisite (I'd love to know a little more about her technique).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. It was a fascinating display of felt's versatility. The bowls were hand felted but 'rabbit skin glue' was also used, presumably as a stiffener. (I rather wish it hadn't been rabbit skin though.) There were quite a few pieces where I had absolutely no idea how they had been made.
      If you follow the link to the website, there may be a link to her own website and perhaps she might explain more about her techniques there.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. That looks like an amazing exhibition Ellie! I would love to have a look overthere,
    so thank you very much for your tour, really enjoyed that!
    Love, Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirjam. It was a fascinating exhibition and encouraged me to look at felt in a different light. I'm not sure where else it is touring to, but I'm pleased you enjoyed it, even if it was only virtually!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete