Tuesday 15 April 2014

Skirt sew-along - progress of a sort...

 Hmm, yes, well, not that much progress to report so far on my skirt.  However, I have finally received the pattern, so have tried to make a start.
I have been having a few challenges.  One is that the pattern is printed on the flimsiest of flimsy tissue paper which seems to tear if it is even looked at.  No problem, I thought, I'll just trace off the size I need onto greaseproof paper which will last much longer and be fine for a few skirts.  This created the next challenge.  What size would I need?  Now, the reason I am attempting to make a skirt is because I cannot find a skirt that fits without some alteration around the waist.  Without going into too many details, I have a small waist compared to my hips and am a 'pear' shape.  So, I decided that if I made it to fit my hips, I can increase the darts to fit my waist. (Are you still with me or have I sent you to sleep?!)  However, I am not exactly sure how true to size the pattern actually sews up.  What all this means is that I am going to plump for a larger size to fit my hips and as I am making this in calico first, as a practise run,  I can adjust it for the denim version (if I ever get to that point!) Well, that's the theory.  So, I am going to adjust the greaseproof pattern now and then hopefully I should be at the cutting out stage (Fingers crossed!).  I do seem to be making the seemingly simplest of projects into a major undertaking...
 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. It does seem to have taken me a while to get to the cutting out stage - hopefully things will progress a bit more quickly now!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I think your idea of trying the pattern out in calico first is a very good one. I never ever bother with this and funnily enough did exactly the same with this pattern and it was much more helpful than I anticipated. Not least in the sense of freedom it gave to exploring no the pattern worked without panicking I might be wasting fabric! Hope you find the same and am looking forward to seeing the next stages of your skirt. E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, E. I am aiming to really make a start over this weekend, and I feel that I do have to make the calico version first, partly because I am such a novice and also, as you say, to find out how the pattern works. Daisy Jones' tutorial is very helpful so I shall be following that like a hawk!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I really do need to learn to sew properly Ellie. I cant wait to see how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I wish I could say I can sew properly but I am hoping that this project will improve my skills! I'm looking forward to getting properly started over the weekend.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete