Thursday 26 November 2020

Exploring Mixed Media - Small Abstract Landscapes

Following on from my inspiration book, the second workshop by Laly Mille was about using the inspiration book and creating four small abstract landscape collages.  We were shown the process step by step and I took lots of notes so that I could remember what to do!  I cut the watercolour paper and backed it on cardboard to make the pieces easier to work with and then stalled.  
However, I decided one afternoon that I needed to get on with them.  I drew in the horizon line with a watersoluble black crayon and then smudged it with some matt medium. I began by making four bundles of collage pieces - the same one for each picture.  These were then stuck down on the four pieces and I was off!  I tried to make different shapes with the pieces. Once the collage pieces were in place, I had a cup of tea and a break. 
The collage pieces were a mix of paper scraps, tissue paper, printed papers and  gel press prints.  Once theses were dry, I could begin adding colour and texture.  I used texture paste, acrylic paint, white gesso and watercolour crayons.  
The finished pieces are more blue than the teal I had envisaged, but I used my inspiration pages to find contrasting colours and darker colours and I like the colour mixes.  I think I like the one on the bottom right best as it reminds me of standing stones, although they could also represent trees!  I haven't done anything like this before and I really enjoyed the whole process, once I actually got going. 
The third workshop was creating a mixed media canvas.  I haven't done this yet - I am thinking about it a lot though...

8 comments:

  1. They are ALL beautiful, and would make a serene and lovely addition to any home.
    I am looking forward to seeing where your thinking about the mixed media canvas takes you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. They are different from other projects and I really enjoyed using all the different media. Once the mixed media canvas is underway, I will share my progress.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Love-love-LOVE these, Ellie!! You did a fantastic job, my dear. Gorgeous!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. They are different from what I normally make and I am enjoying the challenge.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. They were very enjoyable to make and I like the way I can see different things in them.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. What a process! So glad to see you stuck with it and tried a number of different mediums. The end result is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. Once I finally got on with them, they came together fairly quickly and I loved being able to use all the different media. They do look like a set.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete