Thursday 21 January 2021

A little promise of Spring

With the onset of storm Christoph, flexing his muscles and causing flooding in some parts of the UK and snow in others, I was in need of some optimism and I found it in the garden.  Above are some iris reticulata which I bought last year and didn't get round to planting out.  I have not been successful with getting these plants to flower for a second year, but I am hopeful that these may do just that.
Snowdrops I bought last year and again didn't plant out (there is a pattern developing here...) almost opening.
These are planted out in the borders, but need a bit more sun to open fully. 
A solitary flower on camellia Yoimachi which hasn't been as floriferous this year as it was last year.  It may need re-potting.
Camassias starting to grow - they have enjoyed all the rain.
The first flower on hellebore 'Hello Ruby' which I am going to pot on in Spring.
I liked the silvery leaves of these cyclamen, which are brightening up a dark corner.
The markings are beautiful.
As are the miscanthus flower heads, giving movement and elegance as they fade.
Finally, the award for the most tenacious plant this winter goes to Nemesia Confetti.  This is a cutting I took in the summer and has continued to flower ever since.  It only has two flowers left, but what a star!  The garden certainly lifted my spirits today.

6 comments:

  1. Gardens so often lift my heart and my spirits. Thank you so much for sharing some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am so thankful for my garden, whatever time of year it is.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Oh what gifts of hope your sweet plantings are, Ellie! Even their pictures are joy-filled!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. We all need hope to cling onto at the moment and the garden is providing that for me. I love seeing new growth and knowing that Spring isn't too far away.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your garden gently awakening from its sleep, flowers and foliage certainly make it pretty xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. It is trying to gently awaken, but the minus temperatures at night recently are slowing it down a little. The snowdrops are always such a hopeful sign.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete