Saturday 9 January 2021

Books to be read

I mentioned in my previous post that I had a pile of books to read and these would be the ones to start with this year.  In fact, I have many, many more books than this, waiting to be read, but these are the chosen few at the moment (until something else distracts me...)  I am pleased to announce that I have read the first one, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd since Christmas. So, in case you can't see what they are, we have from the top:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (it is always interesting to see how much a dramatisation of an Agatha Christie story changes from the book - this one did).
The second book is a craft book I received for Christmas, Mandalas to embroider and initially, I was a little dubious when I opened it as I have not done that much embroidery and don't really like too many complicated stitches.  However, on looking at the book, the mandala patterns are pretty and straightforward, with only a few different stitches needed, so I think, on reflection, this book will suit me very well. I look forward to having a go at some of these.
The next is a book I had had for years, but never read, so 2021 is its time!  A History of English Food by Clarissa Dickson Wright.  I am interested in social history, which is probably why I bought it in the first place.
The Diary of a Modern Country Gardener is a book I am in the middle of enjoying, but I kept getting distracted by other things and so it kept getting put down.  I will finish it!
Written in bone is the second book by Sue Black and I really enjoyed her first book.  I did an online course in Forensic Archaeology and Anthropology last year, which was a bit over my head at times, but was very interesting.  If nothing else, the course gave me a new respect for what these people do, which is incredibly complex.
The Well Gardened Mind is another book I have started, but then put down. It deserves my concentration and I will read it this year.  I bought a copy as a present for a colleague at Christmas so it will be interesting to compare notes when we have both read it.  Gardening is a wonderful hobby and its effect on mental health cannot be underestimated.
So, there are my first few books for this year. No doubt there will be many more to come...

12 comments:

  1. Love your selection and yes, I have many, many books waiting to be read. Some of them demanding to be read.
    For some reason I never really warmed to Agatha Christie's crime novels (though I have probably read most of them). Her autobiography/memoirs are a very different matter. Those I reread most years.
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. She was a fascinating and complicated woman by all accounts. My real favourites are the Miss Marple ones - I love the descriptions of this elderly woman, with twinkly eyes and a mind like a bacon slicer!
      I shall add the autobiography and memoirs to my reading list!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. Definitely prefer Miss Marple to Hercule Poirot. Of course. And like Ngaio Marsh (though not her autobiography_ more. Also Marjorie Allingham.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, EC. I have heard of those authors, but haven't read either of them. More for the reading list!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Looks like a wonderful stack you have there, Ellie! "The Well Gardened Mind" looks especially good. I love book reviews so thank you for doing some! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I think the Well Gardened Mind will be fascinating - written by a psychiatrist/psychotherapist who is married to a garden designer, so she knows what she is talking about. I am looking forward to devoting some time to this one.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. That's quite a selection. It's definitely good to mix things up a bit, keeps things interesting. I've got quite a few books on the bookshelf waiting to be read and though our local library closed during the last two lockdowns, it's open still at the moment. We're able to order books online and collect them, but no browsing, which suits me fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It is always good to have a stash of books to read, I find. However, I think my (ever growing) stash has got a little out of hand, which is why I am making a concerted effort to read these books first this year. I have many more waiting their turn!
      I don't use our local library as much as I should, relying on buying kindle books or real books (which is probably why my stash is ever growing!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Gosh, that will keep you going for awhile. Like the sound of History of English food, I too enjoy reading about social history. xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I have just finished the Modern Diary of a Country Gardener which I enjoyed, so it's History of English Food next, I think. It deserves to be read after sitting on a shelf for years!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. There is something about a nice pile of books that are waiting to be read that makes me feel happy! When I am down to my last book even if I haven't started it I get a little apprehensive and start hunting on Amazon for my next book! I so love visiting the library when I go back to the UK and I can take away a pile of books for holiday reading. Enjoy! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I am an avid reader and have accumulated hundreds and hundreds of books - probably enough to start my own library! I agree, they make me feel happy too and we all need that, particularly at the moment.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete