Tuesday 26 January 2021

Wanderlust 2021 - the first four weeks - Reflections

I am well into my mixed media art journaling course and am loving it, even when it is a real challenge.  I will post about it once a month, as the course is split into monthly sections, each with a theme.
The theme was Reflection.  For week one, it was to think about a positive feeling from last year.  I chose 'being calm when surrounded by nature'.  The photo is one from a magazine and  I have had it for years so it was nice to be able to use it..  I chose greens and blues to to give a feeling of nature.
Week two was so much fun.  The title of this week was 'A Garden of Wishes' and the start of this page was journaling about things we are grateful for.  These would then get covered up with many layers.  Collage, acrylic paint, alcohol inks, watercolour crayons  and gesso were some of the media used.  It took several days to complete this page as layers had to dry, but the end result is so colourful.
Week three was the biggest challenge for me.   I don't enjoy drawing or painting people at all.  This week we had to think about something we wanted more of in the coming year.  We had to paint a self-portrait and then use the colours we'd mixed for that on the surrounding page. These were not colours I would normally choose.  I am proud that I completed this, but won't be rushing to do any more portraiture!
Week four was much more up my street.  Paper bags were used as the background, then gesso and watercolour, which was then bleached out using salt, to create some really lovely patterns.  We painted a dandelion head on one side and added collage and words.  Under the right hand page is a list of things I am looking forward to in 2021.  I also got to use glitter and sequins on this page too.
The theme for the next month is Ephemera, which I am really looking forward to.  I am so pleased I signed up for this course, as it is giving me a great focus and as the classes are shared on a Friday, it is something to look forward to each week.

12 comments:

  1. 👍👍👍👍
    😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome, Isabel. I am enjoying the art course very much so far.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You will not be surprised to learn that your week two speaks loudest to me.
    I love that you are enjoying it (despite some challenging weeks) and look forward to seeing much more.
    Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I think week two is my favourite so far too - so colourful and so much fun to do. I may well revisit this in another journal as it was so enjoyable.
      The only thing about the classes being on a Friday is I find I'm wishing the days away to get to Friday!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. You're doing a great job, Ellie!! I love all your finishes. I haven't even started, believe it or not. :-/ Having some health issues that are sapping my energy to the bone. Hopefully those will be taken care of soon and I'll be on my way to start. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. The good thing is that the course will wait until you're ready - no pressure if you're not feeling up to it. I hope your health issues will improve very soon. I am really enjoying it so far, even the challenging bits!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I think they're all fabulous but my favourite is A Garden of Wishes, absolutely love that. Well done on the self portrait, that would be the one which was most difficult for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I loved the Garden of Wishes week. The finished pages have so many layers and I was surprised just how much went into it - I was able to use so much of my stash of materials, which was great.
      (I am hoping I won't need to re-visit portraits any time soon!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Wow, they all look remarkable, I can´t draw for toffee. Lovely you have found a new creative outlet whilst things are so difficult xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. This course came along at exactly the right time for me and I am loving it. A new class every Friday is something to look forward to and it is all helping to keep me motivated and feeling positive.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. The garden of wishes page is really gorgeous! I believe it reflects your obvious enjoyment in that particular part of the course. So wonderful that you can portray your feelings through the use of colour. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. That was certainly my favourite class so far and I loved all the layers. This week is abstract collage and texture using ephemera, so I shall be making a start on that tomorrow. I can't wait!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete