Friday 1 January 2021

Happy New Year 2021

(Big Ben at midnight off the TV)
 Well, after the year we have all had, it is good to welcome a new one and hopefully, a better one. Photos below are from the frosty garden yesterday morning.

As has become a tradition for me with the first post of the new year, I will review my aims for last year and think about ones for this year.

Read interesting books 

 I have continued this but haven't read so many books this year.  I think this is partly because I have been working from home and haven't used my lunch hours for reading, which I do when I am at work.  Some of the highlights have been: 'All that remains: a life in death' by Sue Black; 'Fifty Fifty' by Steven Cavanagh; 'The Thursday Murder Club' by Richard Osman; 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' and 'The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy' by Rachel Joyce and re-reading some old friends such as Miss Marple.  I have a stack of books I really need to sit down and read, so they will be my first aim.

Be Creative (using what I have) 

 I have continued my creative journey into art journaling and mixed media and successfully completed my ATC challenge.  I have also signed up to a year long art journaling mixed media course which starts now.  I have bought new stamps and dies, which I just had to have, but have now realised that I don't have the storage for any more, so from now on, it needs to be 'one in, one out'.  I really don't need any more, but no doubt will see something I just have to get...  

I haven't done much sewing this year (except for face masks) and still need to make those two pinafore dresses.  I also haven't yet attempted sewing with stretch fabric, so that would be a good aim too.

Get rid of or donate things I do not want or need 

I did get rid of a few bits and pieces to charity shops when they were open during the year, but I have a long way to go.  I do have too much stuff and could do with emptying everything out of a room and then only putting back what I actually want, but unfortunately, there isn't the space for that.  I must try to make more of a concerted effort on this one over the next year.

Take more notice of nature

Like many people this year, I have been so grateful for my little garden. Sitting out there has given me much pleasure.  I love gardening, so am attuned to the changing seasons but I need to be much more aware of nature and its joys and not take them for granted.  I bought a few new plants last year and will enjoy seeing them grow and flourish.  I have a few more in mind for 2021, but need to remember my lack of space in the garden too.  I also need to give some established plants more TLC and repot a few.

There we are.  Lots of good things from last year, a few not managed, but there's always this year to try again.  I hope that 2021 will prove to be an encouraging and hopeful year for us all.

10 comments:

  1. It's good to set ourselves these small goals, even if we don't achieve everything we want to. Wishing you all the very best for 2021. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I like having aims for the year, even if they change or aren't completed during the year.
      Best wishes for a Happy New Year for you too.
      Stay safe.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. A very happy, hopeful and healthy New Year to you.
    I like your aims and look forward to seeing your creative side's progress.
    I have also been endlessly grateful to nature and my garden this past year - gratitude I hope to retain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I hope that 2021 is kind to you.
      I have started my art journaling course and am working on my first piece this afternoon. So far, so good!
      I am also looking forward to being in the garden this year too and enjoying what nature can do.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I'm starting Wanderlust too. Have a fun year with it! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I have started it today and had a lot of fun with paint, pencils, glue and collage. It will be lovely to chat about progress, once we get going! It's a real positive for 2021.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Its so good to have ideas....eagerness to renew ...to learn more to have aims and goals....very important. I feel more alive if I have something to aim for. May we never lose those impulses!! A very happy new year Ellie :-) Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I always like having something to aim for, even if I don't quite manage to complete it. I think this year will be another where nature, hobbies and books will also be important.
      Happy New Year to you too and stay safe.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' when I read it a few years back. My reading suffered in 2020, but I'm hoping to get back into it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki. I am hoping to improve my reading time in 2021 too. I have read two books so far this year!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete