Wednesday 4 August 2021

Heavenly Hydrangeas

I am a person who (whisper) didn't used to like hydrangeas that much.  Luckily, that has changed and I can now appreciate their many qualities. They provide months of interest as the flowers fade and at flowering time, they bridge the gap between the end of the summer flowers such as the first flush of roses and the start of the late summer perennials.  I had a  wander around the garden, just to see which ones I had and was quite surprised as I didn't think I had acquired so many!  I took my camera along, so wondered if you would like to join me? Above is a newish one bought earlier this year - Hydrangea macrophylla Little White.  I have just discovered macrophylla means 'big leaf' - that make sense!
Here is my newest purchase, Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinky Winky'.  The name makes me smile!
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Fireworks'.
Going down the path, we have Hydrangea macrophylla 'Merveille Sanguine'.
Going past Hydrangea paniculata 'Sundae Fraise', not showing her lovely pink tones quite yet.
On to the patio, there is Hydrangea macrophlla 'Dark angel'.  I particularly like the small purple flowers inside the showy red bracts.
Probably my favourite, who has appeared on here many times, (and the only one planted in a border) Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle'.
Also on the patio is Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Spooky' with lime green flowers which should turn creamy.
Down towards the bottom of the garden is Hydrangea macrophylla Magical Revolution 'Blue', which is gradually turning purply pink, although I don't mind.  I decided I wasn't going to add colorant to keep it blue.
Next to the blue one is this one, Hydrangea macrophylla Magical Revolution 'Pink'.
At the bottom of the garden is Hydrangea macrophylla Endless Summer 'The Bride'.  I particularly like white hydrangeas in the garden as the colour shows up at dusk.  They are also a bit more amenable as they will stay white in non-ericaceous soil or compost.
Out at the front, brightening up the front door, I have hydrangea macrophylla Magical Revolution 'Pink'  - this plant is a great doer - it doesn't need that much looking after and seems to bloom for a long time.
Finally, (well done if you've stayed to the end!) is Hydrangea macrophylla Endless Summer 'Pink'.  This started to flower back in May and has been a lovely splash of colour in a rather drab-looking street.  So there we are - more hydrangeas than I thought (thirteen!) and all in pots and tubs except for Annabelle.  I have just potted on five of them as they were trying to grow out of the bottom of their pots, but they had been in them for quite some time.  It was a bit of a struggle, but I got there in the end!

12 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful! I think the pink may just be my favorite. Thank you for sharing the eye candy today, Ellie. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. They are very well behaved (on the whole) plants. They would probably be happier planted in a border, so that they could really grow and expand but they seem to coping in the pots. They add a lot of colour to this 'in between' time in the garden.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I am still not really a fan of hydrangeas, though some of yours tempt me to shift my stance. Pinky-winky is a GREAT name. They are a very water hungry plant and struggle in our summer. As so many things do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am lucky in that I have some nice part sun areas which the hydrangeas seem to like. They all have some shade for part of the day. They are certainly not plants that do well in full sun. Annabelle is planted in a north facing border but seems very happy there. They do like water and don't like to dry out. I have yet to see what Pinky Winky's flowers are like - I assume they will be conical in shape and pink!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Well done Ellie on all the re-potting! Pinky Winky!!! What a name. How rude! :0 :) ;) Love the lime green 'Little Spooky' one (I now want to call it 'Spooky Wooky'). Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It does make you wonder who names these plants and what they are on when they come up with the names! 'Little Spooky' shall henceforth be known as 'Spooky Wooky', at least in my garden!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Dear Ellie
    A lot of hydrangeas are very nice.
    In Japan, hydrangeas bloom during the rainy season in June and are loved for their beauty in the rain. In July they are pruned to make way for next year's flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poirot. We don't usually prune our hydrangeas in the UK until around April as keeping the heads on over winter helps to protect the plant from the cold temperatures.
      I really enjoy seeing them flower at this time of year.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Such a lot of different varieties, definitely worth having them in the garden xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I think they are doing well at the moment and they are enjoying the rain!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. I had to smile at the names of some of these varieties! So beautiful. I think Magical Revolution is a fascinating name which immediately conjures up thoughts of John Lennon. The Bride is very apt too looking at those gorgeous white petals. As for Pinky Winky,what can I say ... love the name. Very instructive Ellie :-) Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I knew I had to buy Pinky Winky - I couldn't resist that name! I will be watching its flowers unfurl with great interest over the coming weeks. I would like another Sundae Fraise at some point too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete