Saturday 28 August 2021

More late summer blooms

There is a feeling of autumn just round the corner and the garden is responding.  Above is Japanese Anemone Bressingham Glow, which has proved to be really reliable over the years.
Clematis Heracleifolia New Love is also flowering nicely - it has a pleasant fragrance a bit like soap.
Hydrangea Paniculata Sundae Fraise is colouring up well - it reminds me of coconut ice.
This is a tri-coloured hibiscus - so far, just the pink is flowering.
Phlox is bringing a splash of colour to the bottom of the garden.  This one is planted in some not brilliant soil, but somehow manages to flower every year.
Another phlox, in a pot this time.
My favourite hibiscus, Oiseau Bleu, which features on here every year.  Such an exotic-looking flower. 
Finally for now, a Buddleia 'Wisteria Lane' which has long hanging flowers.  This is a couple of years old and has been planted in a big pot this year.  It has responded with some beautiful flowers.  The crocosmia Emily McKenzie is just starting to flower, so that will bring a punch of orange to the rather pastel proceedings.

12 comments:

  1. We always get a healthy dose of eye candy when coming to your page, Ellie. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your property with us. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. My plants bring me a lot of joy with their colour.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Ellie, your Hibiscus Oiseau Blue is absolutely stunning!!! I think I need to invest in one pronto. Never seen one so beautiful! How tall does it grow? I was round at my folks before and their lighter pink Japanese Anemones have just popped out. I like the idea of soapy smelling clematis also. Your garden must smell heavenly. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It is a beautiful shrub (Hibiscus Syriacus 'Oiseau Bleu') and I bought mine from B & Q quite a few years ago. It can grow to 2m x 3m but I pruned mine two years ago as I don't want it to get that big! It is pretty much trouble free. It is late to come into leaf (around May) and usually flowers in August. It does lose its leaves in Winter, but is a tough plant and hardy.
      You do get a waft of perfume as you go down the garden, made better with the addition of the roses flowering again.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I always love to see your garden. Ours is lurching into Spring, and it is lovely to be able to see different seasons on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I love your Spring garden - it is looking beautiful. The asters have just started flowering so there may be another late summer/autumn flower post to come.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. It's lovely to see so much colour still around, as you say, autumn is just around the corner now. I hate letting go of summer, though the nights are now drawing in and there's a definite chill in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I agree about the chill in the air. I do like autumn though and the asters and miscanthus are just starting to get into their stride, so there is still lots to enjoy. (As well as the traditional autumn things like blackberry and apple crumble!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Loving your garden's floral display as we gradually move towards autumn. The Buddleia with its dainty flowers is particularly gorgeous! Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. The buddleia was a bit of an impulse buy, and has taken a while to get going but I think it will improve each year now. It seems to bit a bit less of a thug than some!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Oh Ellie, your flowers are just wonderful. Many houses ago I had a wisteria which would put on a second flowering late in the year but the ones I've planted here have never done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. The garden has brought me a lot of joy over the last year and I have been very grateful for it. It isn't the biggest space, but I have packed it full with lovely plants.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete