Friday 9 June 2023

Decorating a tray

Due to the lack of clear surfaces in our sitting room (mainly due to my various craft stashes which seem to be taking over!), I often use the ironing board as a makeshift table. This is fine until someone wants to use it for its intended purpose.  I decided to try and make things a bit easier to move off the ironing board and so bought a plain tray to keep my stuff in.  Well, it wasn't going to be plain for long.  I had recently seen a video by Shemi Dixon on Youtube here where she painted a tray.  I was going to do that, but then as my art journal course had featured mark making using acrylic paint pens on tissue paper, I decided to do that instead.  
I had a happy time making all the marks then painted the tray with a couple of coats of acrylic paint, tore up the tissue paper and stuck it down.  I finished with a couple of coats of varnish and some gold gilding paste on the top and corners.  I am really pleased with the finished tray and it is very much my own design.

6 comments:

  1. I love your tray - but wonder whether it is big enough. Our hobbies/obsessions do take over all available space don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I think you know me well. The tray is already a bit overflowing, but it does help when things have to be moved from the ironing board. I invariably end up crafting in a very small space because things do seem to expand in the middle of a project. I don't think that's just me though!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your tray looks fab Ellie. Great idea to free up the ironing board quickly :) I like to scoop all the girl's crafty stuff off the dining table using a long ruler - into a bag for life. They then normally sit around the house until I make them tidy it all up :0 :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. The tray is needing a sort out - that's the only problem with storage - it gets full!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. ... I 'd better not go giving them any ideas about the ironing board ;) (not that I iron often at all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It's not one of my favourite occupations either but clothes do look better ironed!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete