Thursday 9 November 2023

Things to enjoy in the garden - after Storm Babet

We survived Storm Babet but have had Storm Ciaran creating havoc in the South of the UK, with high winds and more rain as it moves away.  So far, the garden seems to be coping.  I  have all the normal Autumn jobs to do - collecting leaves, planting tulips and insulating my pots.  These will get done as soon as possible.   You can tell Autumn proper is here by the change of leaves - above is a blueberry.
However, there is still some colour to enjoy.  This is Salvia Cerro Potosi.
Rose Blush Noisette is also still in bloom.
Japanese Anemone Bressingham Glow has been flowering since July but the flowers are now more muted in colour than the bright pink they were in the summer.  This lilac-pink shade is still rather lovely.
Hydrangea Merveille Sanguine is putting on some fiery autumnal shades too.
Rose Gertrude Jekyll has put out one final rose which is beautifully scented.  I am enjoying it while I can.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that you and your garden continue to escape the wrath of the storms. There is always something to do in a garden - and a lot to enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. The storms have brought a lot of rain in a short time - extremes of any sort of weather seem to cause chaos in the UK. Yes, there are always lots of jobs to do and things to enjoy. I love the forward planning with gardening too - what will it be like next year?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you still have beautiful roses after the storms! So pretty. Aren't blueberry leaves just wonderful. Almost better than the tasty treats xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Yes, some of the roses are still trying to flower. New Dawn, William Shakespeare, Olivia Rose Austin and For Your Eyes Only in particular. I am sure the coming frosts will stop them though! I am enjoying them while I can!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete