Thursday 16 July 2020

Brush holders - using what I have

When I am in the midst of creating, with paints and brushes all over the place, invariably a brush will roll across the work space and over whatever I am working on (and it is usually the brush which is coated in paint!)  I decided that something had to be done and had my eye on some nice wooden soapdishes which had grooves in them, just right for putting brushes on.  I showed them to Chris and explained my problem.  He replied "You've got lots of polymer clay, why don't you make some?"  Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. So I got out my scrap clay and  had a go.  They are a simple construction - clay sausages and  a flat bit.  Underneath, they are supported on three clay sausages. You can see the result above.  Now, they don't look that pretty, but then they were made out of bits of leftover clay.  It is quite difficult to bake polymer clay so that it is totally flat, so they have a little bit of a wobble, but not enough to be a problem.  
The most important thing is that they work and here's the proof.  No more rolling brushes - thank goodness!  I may make some more and try to make them a bit prettier... (of course, if you were really good with polymer clay sculpting, you could have a whole menagerie of little animals/flowers/other interesting things to hold your brushes - there are many examples on the internet.)

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! They are fantastic, I think they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. They do the job and I used supplies I already had, so win-win!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. How clever. And functional.
    And of course it is always the paint-laden brush which rolls - the artists' version of toast always falling butter side down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Not that beautiful, but practical. No more rolling brushes for me (unless I inadvertently forget to put them on the brush rest, of course!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. They look good and have saved you some money into the bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I haven't saved much money during lockdown as I have been adding to my stash, but I did save a few pounds here.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. LOVE this idea!!! Rolling brushes, misplaced brushes (or pens) always seems to happen. This is quite genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. They have proved to be very useful (even if they are not that beautiful).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete