Thursday 23 July 2020

My garden is getting a bit out of hand!


With the sunshine and showers we have had during July, the garden has put on a lot of growth.  In fact, it feels a bit like a jungle as we carefully try to make our way past the miscanthus.  The buddleia has matured into a bit of a monster - when I bought this, it was described as a 'dwarf', but there is nothing dwarf-like about its proportions now!  It has a honey scent which is most noticeable in the early evening when I am watering.
The phlox in a pot is also growing well and shares a honey scent.
Clematis Perle D'Azur has never looked as good as this.
Here are the miscanthus grasses which have really grown this year - this one is supposed to be a smaller variety 'Starlight' and behind it is the taller 'Kleine Fontane'.
A view to the sunny border with palms, roses , agapanthus, and hardy geraniums all jostling for space.
This is the view from the patio - bluberries, rhododendrons, hydrangeas, astrantias, a clematis and fuchshias.
Hydrangea Annabelle is making a stab at garden domination this year (but she is lovely!)
This is the north facing border with clematis, another miscanthus, roses at the back, and my hacked back (but doing well, with flower buds) hibiscus.  Again, a bit of a jungle feel here! 
Finally, a couple of photos of a bee enjoying the buddleia.
He kept moving very quickly, enjoying the nectar and pollen.

14 comments:

  1. Loving your garden - and I would much prefer a garden with triffid tendencies than one which is beaten down by heat (and usually lack of water) and too tired to continue.
    Good luck in controlling the more rampant plants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am enjoying the garden, despite having to squeeze my way down the path. I am rather glad I am not growing triffids - judging from this year, they would be uncontrollable!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. How beautiful the flowers in your garden are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poirot. I love seeing what is flowering every day when I wander round the garden. I would love to have a bigger space though, but I enjoy what I have.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Wow it all looks amazing. Gardens have a habit of doing that don't they, if you turn your back for just a small amount of time they grow like mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. It has certainly grown! I agree - turn your back for a minute and something else makes a bid for world domination!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I love your garden - so full of life and color.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. It is certainly a very full garden, but this doesn't stop me from adding more plants! There is a lot of colour, which I love to see.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Gardens have been loving both the sunshine and rain we've had this summer. It's nice to see so much colour out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Yes, they really have enjoyed the weather. This time of year can sometimes be a bit colourless, as it is after the main roses but before the autumn flowerers, but not this year!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. I too have a 'dwarf' buddleia. Trouble is, I don't think it read the label as it becoming a bit of a monster. Thankfully it is loved by the butterflies and bees or it would be getting transplanted onto a patch of land close to where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. If I had known how big this buddleia would get, I probably wouldn't have planted it where it is. I cut it back really hard this year which may have made it worse! It can stay (for now) because it is so good for wildlife.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. So many plants, you must have to walk sideways down your path - what wonderful scents you are able to experience. Wish that could be part of your blog too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. Yes, a sideways walk is required, being careful not to fall over the compost bags on the way! I do love the scented plants on a sunny day and the buddleia has been particularly strong this summer.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete